Sunday, May 3, 2009

Equipment

The last couple of weeks has been cray so I haven't had time to take many pictures so today's post is about equipment. Most of the time when you talk to people about photography they ask what camera do you have and how many pixels does it have. To answer this question I have a Nikon D40 and it has 6 mega pixels. In today's technology 6 isn't a very high number. When I tell most people it only has 6 they say in a kind of let down tone, "Oh well that's cool." I am not ashamed of my camera with only 6 mega pixels in a day when most camera now have 10 or 12. It's not the technology that makes a great photograph. There is way more to it than a fancy camera. My theory is that a photograph is 10% technology and 90% being there.

So today's post is more about what it takes to be there. Two of my most important pieces of equipment are my four-wheeler and my four wheel drive truck. These are the tools I use to get me where I need to be try try and get a good shot. I don't make good pictures sitting in the house(I can spice them up in photoshop, but you still have to have a picture to start with).

I am not saying that a camera is not an important pice of the puzzle but really it is just another tool in my bag that helps me create a piece of art. That is what photography is to me is art. Well that and another excuse to be out in the hills.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I miss the four-wheeler.. :(