Thursday, April 23, 2009

Sheep Camp

10 years ago dad and I set off on an adventure. We were headed out for the Grand Wash country. We ended up at the bottom of Grand Gulch. Now if you know that country you know that it is not passable in a truck(well at least if you care about your vehicle). There was a sheep hunter that was set up at the base of the canyon and had a canvas walled tent pitched. We visited with him for a bit and then headed on back down the road. We got to visiting and ended up in a place we had never been. There was a big pump, remnants of a wind mill, a sheep wagon and some tools laying about. We got out, milled around, I climbed up to the top of the wind mill and then we headed back on down the trail. It was kind of mysterious because if you know that country you know how huge it is and to have a operation setup there is kind of remote at best. Well we have always talked about going back and finally we did. Again we really just happened upon it because the turn that we were planning to make we missed, due to deep discussion, but we didn't feel like turning around so we kept rolling. After a few miles we found remnants of a faded trail and took it. As soon as we dropped of the edge of the knoll we dropped into the sheep camp. This picture was as we dropped down in. It was evident that someone was still working the place. There was a wheeler there, fresh tire tracks, the pumps were full of gas, and the sheep wagon had fresh food and was being slept in. However unlike the three bears we did not find Gold locks sleeping in the bed. Maybe that better though. So needless to say the mystery of the place is still, well mysterious, so dad and I have planned yet another adventure back out.

There are two things that I never get sick of. Pictures of the cactus's in bloom and pictures of Mustang. If I'm in view of Mustang I know I am in good country. Enjoy the pictures and I cant wait till the next time i get out here to shoot some more. I think that I am about to wear my camera out taking pictures of the beautiful desert in the spring.







3 comments:

Lauren said...

Great pictures honey.
Glad you and your dad can go out again! Maybe next time you'll find the guy sleeping and can see who the crazy is living there!

Matthias said...

Dad told me that those trails are getting more and more restricted by BLM these days. I hope they never get too much in the way of your adventuring.

June Ann said...

i enjoyed your pictures .. love aunt June Ann