Sunday, March 21, 2010

Save Gold Butte



My last few posts have become a bitter rant about the way things are shaping up on the future of Gold Butte. However besides the occasional rant on my blog I have not really taken an active role in the dialog concerning the future of Gold Butte. I guess that I had just hoped that someone else would take care of it. Maybe I thought that the whole thing would just blow over. However this is not the case.  


Too many things have changed in the interests of Gold Butte and the future management of its public lands. Too many interest groups with extreme objectives, political backing and money have gotten involved. There are a lot of good people involved in the talks about the future of Gold Butte. There is a lot of good being done behind the scenes or that is less known. However I personally have not been involved in something that I feel passionately about and I would guess that there are many more like me.


We need people who have common sense, a love for the Gold Butte country and who want to see a positive change, to get involved in creating a responsible management plan for Gold Butte. It is easy to sit back in the chair of complacency and hope that someone else will get the job done. However it is not going to happen.



As I have thought about how I can become involved and be a positive influence in the talks and development process for change in Gold Butte I started looking for a place where I could go to get information about what is currently happening. I found that there was not a place for those of us who were in the middle. A place for people who want both conservation and multiple use in the Gold Butte region. For these reasons I created www.savegoldbutte.com


I am going to try to build the www.savegoldbutte.com  site into a place where I can explain the issues, post current events, and get people involved who want to see both conservation of our public lands but also multiple use. I just started this last Friday so it is still pretty basic. I don’t have much content posted or many people involved yet however it is a start. I have enlisted Stan Hardy and Jack Nelson to help get the ball rolling.  These are two guys who both know the country, the politics and want to see a positive change for Gold Butte. It also helps that they are my father and father-in-law. So if you are interested in the issues surrounding Gold Butte and its future please start checking the site for the current events and ways to get involved to save Gold Butte.

No comments: