Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Azure Ridge and the Grand Wash Cliffs - Gold Butte

There is a book named Storm Over the Range Lands by Wayne Hage. This book is about private rights in federal lands. I really like the title. Any time that I am out and I see a storm like this over beautiful country it brings this book to mind. It also hits home because this is country that my family has been connected with for years and we have had our own trials and struggles with the federal government and the powers that be. My only hope really is that it doesn't become so "protected" by its "friends" that my children cannot see what my father, my grandfather, my father in law and generations before us have fallen so deeply in love with.

There is a certain sense of pride and duty that you get when you work a piece of land. I personally have not worked this land, but many in my family have, running cattle, mining or by other means. I have spent many days and night with my own father exploring and touring this great back country called Gold Butte. Now its in danger by people who call themselves friends. I consider myself a steward of the land. I love it, I care for it, i respect it. Yes there are those who don't, who go out and destroy, but really is that a reason to shut it off for everyone?

Azure Ridge and the Grand Wash Cliffs - Gold Butte Country


Singed: an actual friend of Gold Butte and our beautiful country

No comments: